Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Summary


So that is about it. I have done some of the work to produce what I hope would be an interesting 11-day excursion. It is not an easy excursion and the first 4 days labours should not be under-stated with an average daily walk of approximately 20 miles. I am a sad purist and wished to achieve the route in the order (expect the day over Cross Fell) and with the stopovers that Wainwright undertook it. There is nothing to stop it being done in stages but I always find the adventure much more dramatic when a whole trek is taken on as one journey. Perhaps it is because like Wainwright I wish to escape the trials and tribulations of life and concentrate my efforts in one major trip allowing more total immersion in the escapade.


I hope you have found the concept interesting and are perhaps looking forward to undertaking this walk yourself. It has to be admitted that without this blog as the vehicle it may be that the account will never be in print. The ability to see this route in print will be directly related to the amount of contributions that other folk make to the commentary so I hope that anyone reading this will not only pass on any relevant details they may have but will also pass the blog site address to friends and family who themselves may have further contribution.
.
For anyone thinking of adding their voice to the manuscript what I am needing is any relevant information or details, along with the contributor's name (if there is a wish to have the contribution credited). I can't promise to submit all but I will do my utmost to produce a final document that will be a unique guide that doesn't tell us where to go but tells us where we've been! Ideally contributions will be contemporary with Wainwright's walk in 1938 but any wartime memories would be very welcome because it was with the shadow of war looming that he undertook the original and less than a year after he walked it the world was at war.
.
I hope that with people-power adding that uniqueness we can between us produce a book that will be welcomed by a suitable publishing house. This blog will be updated to provide feedback as to progress. For my part I will be re-walking the entire route as per the old maps in July 2008 and would hope by then to have a wealth of facts to be able to visit myself en route.
.
I look forward to receiving details and any pictures would also be useful although whether they will find a place in the book might be doubtful simply because this is intended to be a book to be carried and used and not placed on the coffee table.
.
My very best regards and I look forward to hearing from you.
.
Andrew J Lambert




No comments: